Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stand-up.

Usually I get asked for spare change from about five or six times, at least, whenever I go out for a walk in the city. The homeless community seems to be growing each year. Some people I've seen for years, usually standing in the same spot day after day, and others seem to vanish into thin air after a few weeks. Instead of growing callous to it, it seems to get me more each time.

The same plea is voiced to me every time, normally a courteous, "Change please?" Or, "I'm hungry, man. Could you spare a little?"

The other day was different. I was walking down a busy street when I passed a bearded man in a dirty rain jacket. "I..." he began, halting. "Ehhhh I've run out of excuses," he said. "Could I have some money?"

"Sorry," I replied.

"I'm so broke I can't even pay attention," he informed me, matter of fact. People walking by couldn't help but laugh.

He reminded me of Mercutio, making quips even in a dismal situation. I heard him make a few more, but by the time I got home to write them down, I could only remember the first one.

Some people are larger than life, even when life strips them down and attempts to make them small. I've been asked many times why I would want to write a story based in a homeless community. The answer's simple, just walk around and you'll see.

1 comment:

  1. The other day, I was walking home frmo the Faneuil Hall Food Court and i walked by the McDonalds on the corner of Union. There was this kid who couldn't have been a day older than 18 sitting outside. He asked for change, I said I didn't have any (I legitimately didn't - I never carry cash). He then pointed to my takeout bag and asked, "well, can I have whatever's in there? I am really hungry."

    Made my heart bleed for the kid, and it reminded me that, yes, you are correct in that the vast majority is "regulars" whom you always give money to and who probably aren't always hungry, but sometimes, on occasion, someone is starving.

    I can't imagine what it feels like to be starving. No idea. Thank God for that.

    ReplyDelete