Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Artist Meeting #2

Had another meeting with the potential artist for Magic in Dogtown. Hell, I could write a book just on the artist herself. She's that interesting.

I took eight pages of handwritten notes about the meeting. It was pretty productive. She gave me a sheet of "thumbnails" (tiny, rough draft drawings that could be the basis for something larger. Explaining them, she told me to think of what happens when you scroll your mouse over a link, sometimes a "thumbnail" version of the link or picture pops up), which were better than I'd even hoped for. She's going for a grittier, more urban look than I'd originally imagined, and it works.

Note to self: show up exactly on time for the next meeting. I was five minutes late to the first meeting, because someone gave me faulty directions. The artist didn't mention anything about it when we met, but when I was walking up to her I could see her furtively checking her watch. So I thought to myself, "Next time I absolutely must be at least five minutes early, for counterbalance."

Due to me miscalculating the time it would take to walk to the place... I showed up 30 minutes early. When she walked into the room, a carton of milk and container of mac n' cheese in her hands, to see me engaged in a conversation with a cute coworker, she was less than pleased. "You were late last time! I figured I would have time to eat first!"

Then, if I remember correctly, she proceeded to tell me how difficult it would be to eat in my horrifying presence to begin with. This is the same person who previously launched into a ten minute, graphic description of how she would destroy me and dispose of the body. Our admiration for each other knows no bounds.

So yes, the meeting went very well. The decision remains as to whether she should start working off of one of the thumbnails, or continue reading the rest of the novel before she reaches a final brainstorm. I'm fine with either option, but I'll have to discuss it with her... in a perfectly on time fashion, of course!

1 comment:

  1. Yo. This entry is cool and all, and I'mma let you finish, but I got one of the best blog-novels of all time starting on my page!

    That, and I apologize for it, was my attempt at Kanye Westing.

    I can't wait to see the art you guys come up with, for real.

    ReplyDelete